In Citizen Space it is possible to review full responses, 'clean-up' qualitative data and to code (or tag) responses for easier analysis and querying.
These processes can be done via the 'Analyse Responses' link on the dashboard
Once selected, you'll be taken to the first response to be analysed:
This page allows you to read the response in full, but also to copy relevant sections and to tag responses to allow you to draw out themes from the information.
Copying relevant sections of answers
Answers may have some sections that are particularly important for your overall analysis that you wish to draw out separately. You may also wish to add a comment yourself as part of your analysis. Citizen Space allows you to do both of these using the text box provided on each question in this Analyse Responses section.
You can copy entire sections of a qualitative answer and can make your own notes in these text boxes. These are then exported to a separate column on the 'Download all responses including analyst fields' CSV export. This article on exports from Citizen Space explains how to access this CSV file.
Tagging answers allows you to draw out themes from responses; to highlight overall sentiment in a response; and to capture other information to aid your analysis. For example, you might wish to set up tags to capture who analysed the response, or whether the respondent is part of your citizen's panel. This article on tagging responses explains how to manage, add and remove tags
These are questions which are set up when a consultation is built, to be answered by analysts when looking at responses. The Analyse Responses section is where any analyst-only questions will appear, so that you can answer them whilst you are completing your analysis. They will appear with a light blue background, whereas public questions have a grey background. You can learn more about analyst-only questions in this article
The big, yellow workflow bar
Citizen Space also has functions included to allow you to manage the analysis workflow. These all appear on the big, yellow bar at the top of the page.
The bar allows you to:
- Skip to the next or previous response to be analysed
- Jump to a specific response by using the "Jump to response" button and entering a response ID
- Save the analysis work you've done on the response
- Use the "Is analysis of this response complete?" checkbox to mark that you've completed the analysis for that response
- If you have been marking your analysis as complete, you can also skip to the next or previous unanalysed responses, meaning work isn't duplicated
- Jump to a specific question page within a response
- See how many responses there are left to analyse